The following instructions are to be carried out immediately after application of gypsona or synthetic casts.
- Keep the limb well elevated
Arm in sling during day
Leg on stool when sitting.
- Exercise for 5 minutes every hour any fingers or toes or joints free of cast.
- Keep out of the water (unless you are using a waterproof cast) – cover plaster
- with plastic bag when washing the rest of your body.
- Keep away from radiators and hot water bottles while plaster dries. Do not cover with blankets or clothing for first 24 hours.
- In hot and humid weather drying of the plaster is helped by using a fan.
- Do not attempt to touch your skin under the plaster with an object, for example by attempting to scratch the skin. If something is itchy and does not settle it is possible that it needs to be checked by us.
REPORT IMMEDIATELY TO THE PHYSIOTHERAPY CLINIC OR EMERGENCY DEPARTMENT OF THE HOSPITAL (IF AFTER HOURS) IF ANY OF THE FOLLOWING OCCUR:
- Swelling of any part of limb in cast
- Tingling, pins and needles, pain localised to one spot, feelings of excessive tightness
- Loss of feeling, numbness or if extremities become very cold.
- Discolouration (if limb turns blue)
Any increase in pain or any breakage or loosening or the cast.
IF PLASTER BECOMES WEAK, LOOSE or BROKEN.
If you have any doubts or queries please contact us on 02 49545330.
We recommend that you come in to the clinic 24 hours after the plaster application
for a free follow up check.